At Anchor

At Anchor
Whiskyjack at anchor in Garrison Bay, San Juan Island

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Update on the Propeller Issue

Update:  Norm at West x North was on vacation but has returned and contacted me.  He has offered to swap the CS 14x8 prop for a CS 13x7.  I don't think that I could have asked for more.  Initially, I had some reservations about reducing the diameter of the prop, but research confirms that for a vessel my size, displacement, speed, horsepower, and gear reduction, a 13" diameter prop is acceptable and alone, the reduction in diameter might be expected to increase engine wide open throttle (WOT) RPM by about 450.  The reduction in pitch from 9" to 7" should increase the WOT RPM another 200 for an expected increase of 650 RPM.  If that is so, WOT RPM should be within acceptable limits with the 13x7 prop.  A possible benefit of the smaller diameter prop would be decreased drag under sail.  I can't wait to try it out.
 06-28-12 Update:  The new propeller is on its way back to me.

7 comments:

  1. hi daniel, I've been following your blog - interesting. keep it up! I really like whiskeyjack. I recently aquired a sister (cousin?) boat which I am fixing up. I was just wondering if you know anything about the boats builder/beginnings.
    thanks!

    blackyew at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. hi. I tried to email you but it "returned to sender" for some reason.
    I would love to see the article. thank you.
    My boat was built in 1981 and I only know of its origins from a plaque on it describing Frost as the builder and it was commissioned by Ian McKay.

    I am currently working on it (brightwork, paint, sails etc) but it also up for sale as I have a new baby although I don't mind if it never sales- I love that boat! Here's the link just so you can see some pictures

    http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/OBO-32-sailboat-custom-designed-centre-cockpit-pilothouse_17513049

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Enjoying your blog!
    Just wondering how the 13x7 Campbell sailor prop has worked out for you. I have a Pacific Seacraft Orion with the same Yanmar 2QM15 engine. I also replaced my initial prop, a 16x?, with a 14X8 Campbell Sailor and found that I cannot get full revs so I cruise at about 1600rpm. Since my under body looks similar to the Island Drifter I am guessing the props should be similar. My only concern about reducing diameter is the big keel that the water must flow around to get to the prop.
    Ross
    Common Loon
    H.P. Point Roberts WA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross: Unfortunately, I have not installed the new prop yet. I have been taking advantage to the wonderful fall weather and did not want to take the boat out of service. My plan is to have the boat hauled this fall for bottom work. There are too many coats of paint on the bottom, and I need them removed and new bottom paint applied. I also need the steel rudder sand blasted, sealed, and painted. My plan is to change out the prop at that time. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  4. Hello Daniel, if you are still checking this blog, I can tell you that my father in law purchased the Whiskey Jack from Inner Harbour Marina in Esquimalt (Victoria) in the early 80's. I spent many hours on this boat in the Broken Group and also sailed her down from Bamfield BC to Sidney BC. Have many fond memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter:

      Thank you so much for sharing your association with WJ. I want to know the history of this great little ship and you are filling in a piece that has been missing. Please feel free to contact me at dan.503.pdx@gmail.com with more information.

      Delete